Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Gapless Playback

On an average CD there is a gap of two to three seconds between songs. The greatest company in the world, Apple, put an ingenious feature on both of their best inventions, the ipod and itunes. It's called "Gapless Playback." They rigged it so when one song is a about to end the next song starts. Basically, for a split second two songs are playing at the same time. It's awesome cause like most of American society, I can't follow Axl Rose's advice. I have no patience.

When I say I have no patience I really and truly mean I have none. It's a horrible quality. I wish I could rectify it and rid myself of this inability to wait for something. But I haven't been able to up to this point in my life. So why bother now? To make matters worse I have passed this wonderful trait on to the eldest of my ladies. She is me squared in the realm of lacking the ability to be or have any sort of patience. I find it funny because at times I have to pass on words of wisdom like "look, you're gonna have to wait. The internet will only go so fast!" Yet what I'm trying to sell to her, I'm not even buying. 

I don't want to wait for anything. Waiting is for old people. The only people I know with patience are old people. Old people wait for their medicine. Old people wait for the bus. Old men wait on a park bench. Old ladies sit and wait with curlers in their hair.  I'm not old.

When I was in high school I was the friend with no car. And I didn't have a job. So that meant not only did you have to pick me up in order to hang out with me, but I was probably not giving you gas money either.  

A friend would call and say they would be there in ten minutes. I get the call, I'm out the door. I would wait impatiently not by my house, but in the middle of a major road, on the median, so when my buds would come to finally get me, I could just get in the car. It would be like T.J. Hooker, the car would be rolling, I would jump in it and off we went. That's me.

My life as a 14 year old means I am stuck waiting for everything. I am dying inside because I have to wait for the summer. Being a teacher means summers off. Summer means new and awesome movies like "Terminator: Salvation." "Terminator: Salvation" means robots. Robots equal entertainment. I have to wait for robots.  

When I was a kid I kept wondering and waiting to see when I was going to be allowed to curse. When was the right time to let my first "F" bomb drop? I couldn't wait to get in the conversation and let the shits and bitches of the American vocabulary fly. I remember the first time I dropped one. I went into the refrigerator and saw no milk. Man, I was pissed. Before I knew it..."Damn it, we have no f**king milk? SHIT!" 

Right now, I am ready to help the economy and buy a car. I have narrowed my search to a beautiful automobile that hits the streets LATER this year. I want to buy the new Camaro. I picked out the color, black. I picked out the rims, black. Black on black baby! 

I'm going to feel like a bald David Hasselhoff, not in "Baywatch" but like in "Knightrider". I have to clarify that because he was a dork in the beach one but really cool in the car one. I'll be solving peoples problems with this car. All I need is some cheap black "Members Only" jacket, roll up the sleeves, I'm in business! 

I just gotta wait.  

Gapless Playback. If I don't have to wait 2 seconds for the next song to begin how can I possibly be expected to wait three months for a friggin car?!

"Gapless Playback." This is how I want to live. Going from one "song", right into the next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment