Monday, June 15, 2009

Oprah aint got shit on me!

My ladies and I have started a movie club for the summer. We call it "The M.A.D.A. Movie Club." The initials come from the first letter of our titles. I was hesitant to invite The Chosen One into the club because I know she will try and put the kibosh on some of these movies we, I mean I plan on watching. The little one negotiated hard for The Chosen One to be included. She wasn't budging either even when I tried to explain to her that most of the movies Mom wouldn't like, and she's not going to let us watch them either. I tried to tell her "Mom isn't gonna find this fun, she would rather work than be lazy and veg on the couch to a good movie." She wouldn't join without her. I tried to stand my ground but in order for her to come along I had to let her in. 

I came up with this idea to kill two hours during the long summer days. I know I can't just keep taking them to the pool everyday. These kids would have faces like a catchers mitt by the time they hit H.S. if we went to the pool every day. I don't want them to become known as a leather face. However, I say this in almost a hypocritical fashion because I know if we still lived in Florida we'd be at the beach as we speak. 

Besides, I know that if they are occupied with some ridiculous movie about robots, apes, or whatever else interests me I know they will not be fighting. They had a small disagreement as The Chosen One went to work this morning. It was as if she finally got me back with all the times they fought on the way to school and I would leave her to the fighting children and say something like "Oh man, look at the time...I'm going to be late." or "Have fun, love ya!" 

Today was a little bit of payback. As the first word of aggression came out of the little one's mouth she was out the door and down the road, fast as shit, like an old car chase scene in a movie where the tires burn and smoke. That's how fast she left. I didn't even receive the obligatory phone call to see if all was well and they were still alive.

As I type this, a loud "OWWW" reverberates through the house and I am forced to see what fracas I have to mediate now. I am thinking we may have to watch two or three movies a day. We never allow tattling in our house, no matter what. I allow no explanations to be said, just a simple command of "Separate" is more then enough to solve what bothers them. I start to walk back with the little one and she starts in by whispering "OK, here's what happened..." I stop her and let her know they are still taking camp applications somewhere.

As we get into the specifics of the movie club, I have declared myself the supreme movie chooser. They will have no say in what movie we watch. I and I alone choose. I gave myself this job because I know I would be stuck watching some bullshit like "Hannah Montana: The Movie" and "The Jonas Brothers: The Movie" or maybe even the latest installment of "High School Musical 13: The kids hit the job market after college and find themselves unemployed and addicted to crystal meth." Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing that one.

Today, we watched "The Dark Knight." A great film. I love Batman and the eldest lady kept asking to watch it. I couldn't wait to see their faces when "Harvey Dent" gets his face burnt off. At that point in the movie I was happy to see their reaction was that of utter terror. I was a little disappointed with their reaction to Batman. I thought they would like his ass kicking ways. They didn't seem to impressed.

Now, I let them know the pseudo purpose of our new club was to discuss the movie over lunch after we watched it. They seemed to like the concept and we discussed the movie over grilled cheese and blueberries. The more we dove into to the story, we found out that the moral of "The Dark Knight" is that it is OK to lie for the greater good. I said it is still not OK to lie to me or Mom, but if you're the Gotham Police Department you can lie and say Batman killed those people to help the city. We kept the discussion alive and we found out that (these are the words of my youngest lady), "the lie about Batman  is OK, but a lie about going out with men to a party is not OK?" I said "No sweetie, a lie about going to a party with men is NEVER a good lie!"

Up on the agenda for tomorrow is a film from "The Terminator" series. I will most likely screen T2 because it has no love making or should I say Sarah Conner's little boobs being squeezed by a young Kyle Reese. I don't want that talk to come up yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment